Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kids say the darndest things...

Funny stories from this week...


Yesterday, I read the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Great book if you haven't read it). As I was reading, I got to the part of the book that says something to the extent of "And there was kissing on TV, and I hate kissing..." to which one of my fifth grade girls replied, "Yuck! I hate kissing too." Priceless. 


But my favorite of the week so far involved the boys. Rob (my advising teacher) was teaching about bar graphs in math. The students were making a graph representing different countries. They couldn't believe that he was making them write the whole country (oh how difficult) so they asked if they could just abbreviate the countries. "Oh come on Mr. Carey, can't we just abbreviate the countries...like for Brazil we could just write BRA....like bra." (Let me point out that this child had no idea that he had just spelled out a woman's undergarment and to top it off he kept pronouncing it like b-r-a as in brad.) I, at this point, was in the back of the room shaking with laughter as several other boys proceeded to echo the first boy. "Come on Mr. Carey, let us write bra," never realizing what they were saying. For the next hour or so, I laughed spontaneously at the comic relief provided in that moment.


If anymore funny things occur, I will share but for now here are some pictures from the school. They are not the best in terms of photographic skill but they will give you an idea of the beauty of the surroundings.

Over the playground towards the front of the school. 

The view over the playground

The completed product...it took forever.

Letters written in the perspective of a colonial child.

Our colonial quilt bulletin board.


From the teacher's desk

See the castle in the upper middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment