Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blessed by others...

Conversations are a wonderful thing. Sometimes they are difficult, other times they are easy but I am thankful that God has given me a mouth that I love to speak with (sometimes too much) and ears that love to listen. Yesterday, I was blessed by several conversations that reminded me of how much I love the people God has given me.


If you are a TU student, you know what I'm talking about when I say we have the most wonderful chief of police. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of talking with Chief, a man who I truly appreciate and look up to. Chief was one of my team leaders for my trip to the Dominican Republic last year. He, along with my awesome children's lit professor (go Q-Daddy), led our team in a very God-focused way. As I spoke to Chief last night, we were both reminded of how God's plans are much bigger than our own. When I went on my trip last spring, I was physically drained and emotionally broken and God brought Chief into my life (along with some other amazing men and women) to love me when I didn't have the strength to love. I remember thinking, "God how can I love these children that I'm working with when I have absolutely no love to give?" I was gently reminded that the love I show is not my own...it is the remarkable love of Jesus Christ flowing through me. God put me in that situation of brokenness to lean on him and He used Chief to help me see that.


Soon after, I got to Skype with two of my best friends, Car and Sam. Wow!!! They are beautiful, in person and in spirit. We laughed a lot and learned that Dearborn, Michigan is not a country (I'm not naming names on who thought that) but rather a place that is north of Indiana and very, very west of China...or east depending on which direction you travel. Thank you for your laughter and I'm very excited for my Christmas gift from you two. 


I then was blessed to speak with my grandfather. My grandfather encouraged me in the way he responded to my voice. He immediately knew that it was me on the phone and I could tell that my phone call made his day. That knowledge brought me joy because I can tell how much he loves me. He was simply joyful at the sound of my voice. What a way to feel loved even though I am across the ocean.


Lastly, as I was about to head to bed, my computer started ringing and I realized my roommate was calling. I stayed up way too late, but it was totally worth it. I am SO BLESSED to live with three amazing women who love the Lord and who live to honor Him. In addition, Mike, the man of our house as we call him, was over for dinner. His presence made me even more excited because it had been such a long time since we had talked. I could literally write pages about my friends and all the reasons I love them but to spare you hours of reading my blog, I will just share a few of my favorite things about these wonderful people I am blessed by.


Becki - We are so different in some ways and yet we are so alike in other ways. I love her passion, which is displayed in so many ways: science, leadership, relationships, ministry, and the list goes on. I love her heart of compassion which she has shown to me countless times. I love her adventurous spirit and that she is flying all the way to Germany to travel with me. And I love her family, who have welcomed me into their home numerous times and made me feel like I belong there.


Erika - She has such a wonderful sense of humor. I love her caring nature...when I was sick with mono, she along with Becki and Brittany, were always so willing to help simply because they wanted to. Erika has a genuine servant's heart and I know that she would do anything for me if I ever needed it. I love that Erika wants to be a middle school teacher because I could never do that. She loves that age group and I am impressed by anyone that can handle middle schoolers every day. Lastly, I love watching her do DDR....she's amazing.


Brittany - Mama, as I affectionately call her, is an amazing woman. She is strong and has such conviction that I am constantly challenged by. Brittany knows how to love me where I am at and she has selflessly loved me through the ups and downs of my past few months. I have so much respect for her and for the Godly woman she is continuously becoming. She is one of the best storytellers because she always adds in comments she wishes she had said, it's just too funny. On top of that, we have a special connection because of her dog...it's a love-hate relationship. (That is with the dog, not with one another.)


Mike - The title "man of the house" really just means he comes and helps us when we need it. Mike has been such a blessing to me over my three and half years at Taylor. He has shown me such brotherly love and he knows me better than many people do. I am thankful for the wisdom he has spoken into my life on countless occasions and for the Godly example he sets. I am thankful for his family who have loved me beyond words and who have shown me so much hospitality. Lastly, I love his humor. He can always make our whole house laugh, especially when he is trying to do manly things like hanging pictures.


To all those who have blessed me that are mentioned above and also not mentioned above, THANK YOU for loving me and teaching me what it means to love like Christ. I appreciate each one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment