1 Chronicles 16:27 says, "Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his dwelling place."
Psalm 28: 7 says, "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him."
Psalm 30:11 says, "You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy."I am simply overcome with joy right now. Many would probably describe me as a happy person but joy and happiness are very different things. I know I can be happy but I strive to be continuously joyful in my life. This trip has opened my eyes to a lot of things. I've been here only 10 days and i feel as if my heart has changed in some big ways. I am the most joyful I have been in a long time. This weekend on my train ride to Zurich (I'll tell more about that later) I journaled some and I thought I would share what I wrote...
I am happy...so incredibly happy. Joyous might be a better way to describe it. I am so thankful that God's timing is perfect. I am learning that joy is not a giddy feeling. Joy is the knowledge that I have been saved through faith. Joy is forgiveness. Joy is seeing people as they truly are...beautiful fallen people in need of the love of God. Joy is noticing the small things that God puts on my path. Joy is contentment and not complacency. Joy comes in the morning.
I am at such peace right now. Life is so different here...I'm not stressed or worried and I take one day at a time. I just said to someone yesterday that Taylor University needs to learn how to take a break from leadership because so many students, myself included, are stretched so thin trying to be good leaders, that they miss out on rest. Now I know that wherever I go in life, there will always be things I could stress about or worry about. But what a better way to live...to take one day at a time and rest in the joy that Jesus Christ gives me.
I am smiling right now, alone in my room. I have always said I could be left in a room with blank walls and nothing in it and entertain myself. This is entirely true as my close friends and family can attest to...I think I'm really funny. Not many others do but I certainly humor myself. In class last week, I had to introduce myself to the kids and tell them a little about myself. I made a big mistake in my introduction. I was telling the students that I LOVE to laugh and I said that I find things funny that other people don't. I then proceeded to tell them that if they had any funny jokes they should come share them. BIG MISTAKE...the rest of the day was filled with fifth grade humor that I did indeed laugh at but I don't know if I would say they were the funniest jokes I have ever heard. You've got to love 5th graders.
As for what I have been up to....fun, fun, fun things. Friday night I went to Basel, Switzerland (which is only about 30 minutes away). I went in with the whole BFA high school and walked around with my new friend Linda who is the teaching assistant in my classroom. She has the most adorable Southern accent and she hugs me like I believe people should be hugged...often. We walked around and chaperoned some students and took in the beautiful city of Basel.
On Saturday, I bravely ventured to Zurich, Switzerland on my own. I quickly realized that I do appreciate time on my own and it was fun walking by myself but I really do like having company to share new things with. The city was beautiful and there was a lot of amazing architecture there. The city has a very old feel to it in the sense that the buildings and streets are old but there is a lot of modernness to it as well. I walked so many miles and had a few touristy American mistakes but besides that it was a great day.
Yesterday (Sunday) I went to a German church, G5. I think I'm going to continue going there as it was neat to get exposure to German culture in the setting of a church. I am always amazed when I get to worship in another language with the body of believers. How amazing that God has people all over the world praising His Holy Name in so many different languages.
As for today (Monday), I don't have shcool because it is a national Catholic holiday. I am headed back to Basel in a few hours with some new friends I have made.
I hope you are blessed today with joy. Know that the God of the Universe lovingly longs for you.
With lots of love to my friends and family,
Am
Prayer Requests:
My back has been in a lot of pain. Please pray for that I would get relief.
I start teaching part time this week. Pray that I am prepared and do my very best.
No comments:
Post a Comment