Monday, November 8, 2010

Father-Dorky, Funny, ABSOLUTELY THE BEST


As I walked around Salzburg this weekend, I commented to Brittany and Heather that it was the city of couples. Everywhere I looked there were couples, some with children, others alone, but needless to say there was a lot of hand lacing going on. Now I’m a total romantic, as many of you know, so while some might be disgusted or annoyed by the PDA, I thought it was cute. For those of you who are wondering, I have not met a handsome Hans in Germany. My grandfather suggested I travel to the Netherlands to meet a good-looking Dutch farmer but that’s not in the plan either.  But being in city of couples, I started thinking about what kind of man I hope to end up with. As I started thinking about that, I thought of all of the amazing men in my life who have taught me what love and respect look like.

I don’t even know where to begin thanking those men because there are many that have shown me lots of love over the years. The first one that comes to my mind is one of my favorite people in the world…that would be my dad. If you don’t’ know my dad (and my mom for that matter) you are missing out on some great people. I’m going to brag on him for a minute because I’m missing him and I love thinking about all of his wonderful qualities.

My dad is one of the hardest working people that I know. He runs his business with integrity and he is well respected by those who know him. What an example that has been for my brother Brad and I of what good work ethic looks like. On top of that, he says that his business is the Lord’s and he has just made my dad the manager. He isn’t perfect but I think he does a great job managing. He has worked hard for years to put my brother and I through college and provide a home and safety for our family. For that I will be forever grateful.

My dad is also one of the funniest people I know. Now I warn you, he might not be as funny to you as he is to me but I just find him hysterical. My friends all love him both in NJ and out at Taylor. My TU friends especially love it when Mr. Wilson comes out to visit and cooks his famous pancakes. In return, my dad shows love to my friends and I am often told how blessed I am to have my dad. Now although this is completely dorky and was slightly embarrassing, my dad pulled a machete out on my prom date in high school and threatened a past boyfriend with a mafia act with a very real looking gun in his shoulder holster. Like I said…dorky, but totally awesome at the same time. How many fathers would go to the trouble of getting the whole mob get up and finding a gun holster just to put the fear of Billy Wilson in some boy.

I know for certain that my dad would do anything in the world for me. He is generous with his time and what God has given him and most importantly he loves Jesus Christ with all of his heart. I see that in the way he loves my mom, Brad and me.  During one incident at Taylor, I called my dad in tears because something really terrible had happened. He lovingly replied, “Amy, if there was anyway I could switch places with you and take all this pain away from you and put it upon myself…I would do it in a second.” I saw Jesus in my dad that day in his selfless love for me and I have continued to see the light of Christ shining very brightly through him.

I could literally write pages about my dad and why he is the greatest dad in the world but you probably have things to do. In closing, thank you to all the men who have impacted my life and shown me how valuable I am. From my grandfathers and uncles down to my brother, to my friends and the faculty members at Taylor that have impacted me, to the many men from my church, both young and old, I thank you for showing love and respect to the women in your life. You have taught me so much and poured out so much love to me and I am very grateful for each one of you. 

Kendra, Kelly, my dad, me, Marybeth

No comments:

Post a Comment