Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Es tut mir leid...meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut.

For those of you who do not speak the wonderful language of German, my title says "I'm sorry...my German is not so good." This is very true of myself. Tonight I had my first moment where I completely froze when I was spoken to in German. As I was paying at the grocery story, the cashier asked me if I had a smaller bill than a 20 Euro which I did not. Even though I knew what she was generally asking, every German word I knew left me.  Of all things, Spanish comes to my head when I get nervous and I am worse than most at Spanish. 


Besides that...life is wonderful. I absolutely love it here! I can't believe I have only been here for four full days as it seems like I have been here for weeks. I have already met some people around my age and I thoroughly enjoy spending time with my family. My host parents are so gracious and hospitable and the food they produce is phenomenal. In addition to that, their son Ben, who is in high school, is a fabulous musician and I am consistently blessed by his violin or piano melodies making their way through the house.  


I finished my second day in 5th grade today and it is so very different than 1st grade. Different on so many aspects...one is not better than another but there are different things I really appreciate about both. One thing I love about my new school is how the Bible is used. Today I was so excited to hear these kids have a great discussion about the Bible for much longer than was planned. It was really encouraging to see young people excited about Scripture. 



Matthew 11:28-30 says something absolutely beautiful. 


"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For my yoke is easy and My burden is light."


I am not mentally weary at this moment but I saw someone last night who was. It made me think of the moments when I felt like I had no more strength to go on. This morning in devotions, my teacher Rob was talking about how trials are kind of like school. A first grader learns different material than a fifth grader does. If you gave a first grader the work of a fifth grader, they wouldn't be able to do it. Instead, children go grade by grade so that they can gain knowledge one year at a time and face the difficult work of that grade when they are ready for it. Life is the same way. God gives me what I can handle. He has never and never will push me beyond what I can take. That's the beauty of God...when I have no strength and think I cannot move forward, all I must do is kneel at the foot of the cross and recognize that it is His strength that is carrying me, not my own. 


Regardless of whether you are feeling weary or rejuvenated, know that it is not in our own strength that we move forward but in the saving and mighty strength of Jesus Christ. 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I got asked that all the time--cashiers are disappointed if they have to give you change for more than one Euro. But the ATMs only give big bills! (Keep your fingers crossed that you don't get a 50-Euro note.) You'll learn to pack your own grocery bags and come up with exact change in the time it would take you to swipe a credit card in the US. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you are so strong and beautiful. I love reading everything you write. So profound. So original. So wise. So Christ-centered. Miss you tons!
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete